Friday, November 07, 2008

Joe's Kitchen

I’ve brought home a bunch of new recipes from my Italy trip and I will be publishing several of them in upcoming months. Thank goodness I spent hours walking up and down hilltowns(I needed the exercise), because the food was great and the wines even better. But guess what? Hurray! I keep asking for recipes, but seldom get one. Well this month Bev Mastrovich has made my day with her Vidalia Onion & Granny Smith Apple Chutney. (sounds yummy)

3 Granny Smith Apples, peeled, cored, & small dice
2 Vidalia onions, medium dice
1 tsp minced ginger
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup apple cider
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 cinnamon stick
3 cloves
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Place all ingredients in a large pot & allow to cook down for 1 - 1 1/2 hours until most liquid evaporates.
Season to taste with salt & pepper. Store covered in the refrigerator.