Friday, November 07, 2008

BCMGVA Hosts 2008 State Convention

Our Association hosted the 2008 State MG Convention at Sea Trail Resort Convention Center October 5-8 in Sunset Beach. Some 356 MGs and their guests attended from all over North Carolina.
Sunday and Monday by Fred Mina - The Convention kicked off on Sunday, October 5 and Monday, October 6 with two days of optional tours to several NC and SC attractions: Myrtle Beach Theatre and Dinner, New Hanover Arboretum/Airlie Gardens/Orton Plantation and Brookgreen Gardens/Indigo Farm. I was able to talk to some of the Brunswick County Master Gardeners who acted as hosts for the trips, and they universally reported that participants felt the outings were positive adjuncts to our gardening program. Anita Handler accompanied the tour to New Hanover Arboretum/Airlie Gardens/Orton Plantation and found it interesting that most visitors elected Orton Plantation as the highlight of the day. According to Anita, many of the participants had ventured to gardens all over North Carolina, but the experience of actually seeing a fabulous rice plantation such as Orton was completely unique. Almost everyone on the tour wanted more time at Orton, but an evening reception at Silver Coast Winery awaited them.
Monday Evening by Patty Burn - A reception was held at Silver Coast Winery on Monday evening. Those who attended enjoyed an evening of wine, food, and fellowship. Attending members judge the five entries in Madeline Collier Landscape
Design Competition. Davidson County was the winner with their Agricultural Center Demonstration Garden in which they transformed the drab grounds of an old building into a destination site for garden tours.
Tuesday by Fred Mina - With the exception of the sprucing up work I did on our Botanical Garden in the weeks before the Conference, I intentionally tried to not get too involved with convention business because I was looking forward to experiencing my first Master Gardener Convention for what it was. Walking alone into big events like this one, hardly knowing anybody, usually makes me uneasy. But from the moment I walked through the doors and into the gardening atmosphere, I felt as welcomed and relaxed as I have ever been in a large group of people. Registration and packet pick up went so fast and smoothly that I thought I must have missed a table. Everything I needed was in my bag as I found myself grabbing a cup of coffee and chatting with gardeners from all over the state. The featured events of the morning were two talks by Dr. Robert Lyons, Director of Longwood Gardens. Dr. Lyons first gave us a tour of “Captivating Public Gardens in Our Continental Backyard” and finished the morning with “Secrets of an Attention Deficit Gardener.” Although both sessions were packed with an overflow crowd, it was easy to connect with Dr. Lyons ideas and suggestions. The presentations were separated by a break allowing participants to browse the Trade Show tables, followed by a one-hour concurrent session featuring a choice of four presenters. I concluded the morning realizing that I’ve been an attention deficit gardener all along.
After a well-prepared and tasty lunch, convention goers moved on to two more concurrent educational sessions followed by a most interesting Master Gardener workshop moderated by Dr. Tom Glasgow, Director of Craven County Cooperative Extension. This open mike forum allowed people to share ideas, concerns and ways to solve problems common to many of the county Master Gardener organizations. I’m proud to tell you that the phrase “we’re never going to be as good as Brunswick County” came up on more than one occasion. A nice restful break was built into the schedule allowing people to mingle, enjoy the outdoors and relax before dinner.

The buffet banquet and annual NCMGVA business meeting were well presented, and soon we were treated to an evening of fun provided by author and columnist Celia Rivenbark, whose Southern humor was aimed at, and well appreciated by, all the folks who “weren’t from around here.” Celia started with “I don’t know why you folks use your blinkers so much” and took us from dressing six-year-old skanks (the main subject of one of her books) to a spoof involving a NC run on ammunition by our good old boys who weren’t gonna let them Russians invading “Georgia” cross the state line!
Wednesday by Elizabeth Mina - Not being able to attend all three days of the BCMGVA, I felt lucky to be able to purchase entry to Wednesday’s events and join my MG spouse. It was a thrill to engulf myself in my hobby and also have access to some of the best botanical minds in our state. The elegant Sea Trail Convention Complex was a venue I’d never visited despite the seven years I’d lived in Brunswick County, and I was duly impressed. While driving in through its well-manicured grounds with beds of bright flowers surrounding feathery palm trees, I anticipated rolling up my sleeves in my backyard planting beds after what I stood to learn in the first Wednesday session I’d signed up for on “Shade Gardening.” Entering the grand Conference building with its thick carpets and hanging chandeliers, I couldn’t wait to hear about the use of sometimes messy mechanical or chemical means to eradicate my despicable weeds at the second session, but I ended up instead gaining the courage to cut and lop—but not mutilate—my shrubs at the “Cut Above Pruning Practices” presentation. While feasting on tangy fresh pineapple and melon served as part of the catered breakfast, I left myself open to absorb whatever our own David Barkley had to say during his whimsically-named “Your Plant is doing WHAT!” talk on horticultural oddities in the last session.

Between sessions, I meandered around the vendor area, mulling over the contrast between the dirty work of gardening and its striking results. Sipping rich coffee in china cups, I contemplated the Black Kow compost as I wandered amidst Margaret Shelton’s aromatic rosemary and lemon grass. After reflecting on the volcanic rocks promoted by PermaTill for retaining water in poor soils, I allowed myself to be stunned by Restless Winds’ massive purple, white, and yellow mums. Like most of us who love gardening, I salivated over Marietta Gardens’ daylily catalog in addition to thinking about the seeds I would again be buying from Park’s, Gurney’s and D. Landreth. I even won a $10.00 gift certificate for David Austin Roses. Ending my day at the final lunch in the beautiful dining room, I had the opportunity to see the electrifying multimedia presentation about great plant combinations recommended by In the Garden TV Host Bryce Lane. What a treat it was to see this authority in person!

Glad to be a part of the 2008 Master Gardener Volunteer Conference, which was truly spectacular, Fred, Patty, and all of us applaud Chair Shirley Waggoner-Eisenman and the Conference Committee (Patty, Bill Finley, Becky Dus, and Grace Wrigley with Photographer Gloria Polakof). We also convey our thanks to every one of the Brunswick County Master Gardener Volunteers who helped, and all our BC Extension Office agents and staff who went above and beyond the call of duty in order to ensure its tremendous success. It’s true: it’d be hard for anybody else in the state to match the efforts of the Brunswick County MG Volunteers at our 2008 State Conference!