Thursday, May 08, 2008

Joe’s Kitchen

I recently had the pleasure of dining with Bill and Marge Finley. Bill & I share an interest in cooking. It hasn’t, however, affected his waist line like mine. Everything was great, but the dish that really caught my attention was “Bill’s Citrus Almond Rice”. By the way, if you would like your recipe published, I can almost guarantee that if you invite me to dinner, I’ll print it!

2 Tbs. butter
½ cup slivered or sliced almonds
2 cups white rice
1 orange zested
1 lemon zested
1 quart chicken stock

Heat a sauce pot over medium heat, add butter to the pot and melt. Add almonds and toast 3 to 4 minutes. Add rice and the zest of an orange and a lemon then turn to coat the rice. Add chicken stock, bring to a boil then reduce to simmer. Cover and cook 17 to 18 minutes. Fluff and serve.

Bill Finley